Position Mat McLachlan Battlefield Tours (MMBT) as the operator of choice in an increasingly competitive sector and grow booking numbers from Australian travellers.
Tier One: Elevate the profile of Mat McLachlan as one of Australia’s leading war historians (and hence the credibility of the battlefield tours bearing his name).
- Negotiation of an ongoing hosting role on Foxtel’s History Channel (Pay TV) including on-air presentation of interstitials and introductions to special war time features in return for contra TVC and promo spots for MMBT.
- Negotiation of interviews around key war time anniversaries such as ANZAC Day and Remembrance Day as well as regular ‘expert’ commentary spots on broadcast forums including Channel 7’s Sunrise program (top rating national TV breakfast program); Radio 2GB’s Chris Smith program (top rating Sydney afternoon radio program); Radio MTR’s Steve Price program (top rating Melbourne morning radio program); and ABC 702 (Sydney Australian Broadcasting Radio).
- Negotiation of book reviews and giveaways of Mat’s guides to Australian battlefields including ‘Walking With the ANZACs’ and ‘Gallipoli the Battlefield Guide’ in major newspaper titles including The Australian (National broadsheet newspaper) and Sun Herald (Sunday newspaper, NSW).
Tier Two: Generate exposure, trial and review of MMBT.
- A two week on-air competition, giving away a MMBT for two to France, run across Foxtel’s History Channel;
- Negotiation of live TV and radio crosses with Mat and tour attendees;
- Negotiation of editorial on different MMBTs in key print and online travel forums;
- Negotiation of exposure in key travel trade media positioning MMBT as the operator of choice for both travellers and booking agents;
Tour bookings in 2011 grew by 50 per cent on 2010 figures, prompting the establishment of new tours for 2012 visiting SE Asia.